Dealing with the challenges of bladder weaknessBack to articles
Incontinence can have an effect on your self-esteem and dignity, and can sometimes lead to isolation, destress and depression. The activities we love doing, particularly exercise, can trigger our ‘happy hormones’ that keep us enjoying life to fullest. So, when barriers such as bladder leaks get in the way, it can really disrupt our wellbeing. But it doesn’t have to be this way! You can restore your confidence and lead a spontaneous, carefree life by strengthening your pelvic floor with INNOVO®. Treat the root cause of your leaks, rather than just the symptoms, and get back to doing all the things you enjoy most!
But if you haven’t started your journey to overcoming bladder weakness with INNOVO® just yet, you’re probably still feeling the impact that leaks can have on your day to day life. So here are some tips on how to cope with the daily challenges that come with living with bladder weakness.
Preparing for trips
If you are one of the 1 in 3 women or 1 in 10 men experiencing bladder weakness; travelling or going long distances by car, train, plane or bus can be quite worrying. The key to managing incontinence when going on holiday is to plan ahead.
- Ensure you take all the products you need to manage the leakage including sanitary pads and laundry detergent. Other items to add include wet wipes and hand wash to stay fresh, plastic bags and a deodorised spray to remove any odours.
- If travelling long journey by car, know all possible stop-overs along the route. If you’re flying or travelling by train, try to reserve an aisle seat to allow easier access to the toilet.
- Find out if there will be laundry facilities where you are staying to wash your clothes. Taking a portable washing line with you is also handy.
- Wear clothes that are comfortable should you need to change out of them and bring a full change of clothes with you that can be easily accessed.
Incontinence at work can cause major anxiety for both men and women. It can be difficult to concentrate, time consuming to manage and therefore affect your productivity. It is not an easy thing to talk about particularly in the workplace, however there are small things you can do to take care of those little accidents in the office.
- Depending on the severity of your issue, there may be a colleague or manager you feel comfortable with and who you may consider sharing your difficulties with. This may be helpful over the twelve weeks during your Innovotherpy programme.
- Particularly if you work for a larger organisation, there may also be support services available such as a health nurse or human resource manager who could be able to help you.
- Plan your time at work to allow breaks in case you have an urgency to go the toilet.
- Ensure you have product supplies and a spare change of underpants or even trousers with you.
If you have a weak pelvic floor, more often than not exercising can result in ‘little accidents’. As a result many people simply avoid exerting themselves but this is not a solution and in fact not being active can weaken your pelvic floor even more.
- If the condition is severe, avoid high intensity training that includes running and jumping. Exercises such as cycling or walking are good alternatives or even, and activities such as yoga and Pilates are great as they typically involve activating and strengthening your pelvic floor. Once your condition begins to improve with INNOVO®, you may feel more comfortable returning to high intensity training or even taking it up for the first time!
- Continue to incorporate INNOVO® into your daily activities. Within four weeks of INNOVO® treatment, you will notice improvements when running or working out.1
- Avoiding drinking lots of fluids, particularly diuretics such as coffee before exercising as these fluids increase bladder activity. Although it is important to keep your hydration up, avoid drinking large amounts of water right before going for a run.
If you’d like to change all that and are interested in understanding how INNOVO® can help, head on over to our INNOVO® Reviews page, and hear people just like you, talk about their success with INNOVO®. It’s time to live life with confidence!
The key to managing incontinence when going on holiday is to plan ahead.
Beat Bladder Weakness!
Restore your pelvic floor, control & confidence with INNOVO®